Creating a New Alert
In the List
where you want to create the Alert
, click the Library
tab on the Ribbon
The name of this tab varies, depending on the type of list or library you want to create an alert for. For example, for a calendar list, it’s the calendar tab.
- In the Share & Track group, click Alert Me button and then click Set alert on this library.
On the New Alert page, in the Alert Title section, change the title for the alert if you want. The title appears in the subject line of the alert e-mail message and is also used for managing alerts.
In the Delivery Methods section, select the method of delivery you want for your alerts. Note: as a staff member you can set up an alert for students.
If the Change Type section is available, choose the types of changes that you want to be notified about. For example, you can receive alerts about all changes or only when items are deleted.
In the Send Alerts for These Changes section, specify whether you want to be alerted for all types of changes, or for specific changes, such as when anything changes or only when someone changes an item that you created or recently changed.
In the When to Send Alerts section, choose how frequently you want to receive the alerts, such as immediately or in a daily or weekly summary, and at what day or time.
Note: Depending on how your site and servers are set up, the person you created an alert for might receive an e-mail message that confirms that you created an alert. The alert e-mail message might provide links to the list or library, alert settings, the name of the person who created the alert, and other information and commands.
If you are a staff member and you wish to create an alert for students click here.
Edit Alert for Yourself
You can manage your own Alert by doing the following:
1. At the top right hand side of the Site, click your name, and then click My Settings.
2. Once the page has loaded, click on My Alerts.
3. Click the name of the alert that you want to change.
4. On the Edit Alert page, change the settings that you want to change.
5. Click OK.
Note: Click here to Edit Alert for others
Deleting an Alert for yourself
1. In the List or Library where you want to remove the Alert,
click the Library or List tab on the Ribbon
Note: The name of this tab varies, depending on the type of list or library you want to create an alert for.
For example, for a calendar list, it's the Calendar tab.
2. In the Share & Track group, click button.
3. From the dropdown list that appears, select , and a list of all existing Alerts will appear.
4. To delete an alert, click in the tickbox to the left of the Alert listed, then select to remove the alert.
Editing Alerts for others within a course
You cannot edit other peoples' alerts in Cecil LMS. You can however delete other peoples' alerts, if you have sufficient permission.
Click here to Delete Alert for Others.
Click here to Edit an Alert for yourself.
Deleting Alerts for others within a course
Note: You must have the appropriate permissions to be able to do this.
1. In your course page click on
button in the top left corner.
2. Click on
3. Once that page has loaded click on User Alerts under the heading Site administration.
4. Click the drop down list to choose which role/person you want to change the alerts for and then click Update.
5. Click the tick box next to the alert you wish to delete.
6. Click the Delete Selected Alerts button.
How to create a new alert for all students within a course.
are useful to keep students up to date with new information or documents that has been added/uploaded to the course site. Each List
has the option to set an alert. It is advisable that staff only set alerts for students at the list/library level rather than on a specific item as students will then receive alerts for the whole list or library rather than only changes to the specific.
Go to the list or library that you want to set the alert on. (For the purposes of this guide a Library will be used).
From the select the LIBRARY Ribbon.
Select and then
Remove your name from the "Send Alert To Users" text box.
Click on the directory button and enter the course details which you can find in the URL for your course into the search bar in the following format:
/DEMO.001/K.D.2014/ enter as DEMO.001.K.D.2014.
Select the student group for the course
Click on Add and then Ok.
Then set the alert settings as you require (e.g New items are added; Anything changes; Send notification immediately).